National Library Week – April 11-17. The Friends of the NPR Library have planned a week of fundraising and special events at the NPR Library, celebrating its 90th birthday!
- Tuesday, April 6 – Commemorative Banner Hanging at 12PM at NPR Library, 5939 Main Street. And, City Council Proclamation next door at City Hall at 7PM.
- Saturday, April 10 at 1PM – Wine and Cheese event with special speaker, Author Tim Dorsey. This event will be held at the Richey Suncoast Theatre at 6237 Grand Boulevard. Recommended donation: $10
- Sunday, April 11 – Do it Write! – Writers Conference. Join us for the Florida Writers Association’s 4th annual conference @ your NPR Library. All day hear presentations by helpful publishers, editors, writers and agents. Held at NPR Library. For details and to register, visit www.floridawriters.net
- Monday, April 12 at 6PM – Harry Potter evening – Movie and Costume Contest. Held at NPR Library – $2 donation for all you can eat popcorn and drinks. Prizes awarded.
- Tuesday, April 13 at 5:30PM – Spanish Style dinner and visit with Author Andy Huse. The Friends of the Library host the dinner at 5:30PM at NPR Library ($10 donation) followed by a visit with the author at 6:30PM. Huse, a Tampa archivist, has written a history of the Columbia Restaurant.
- Wednesday, April 14, 11:30 – 2PM – Luncheon and History of the Library presentation at the NPR Public Library at 11:30PM (donation $10) and speaker at 12:30PM
- Thursday, April 15, 6PM – Juniper, Florida’s blend of Celtic and Alternative Folk Music. Reception at 5PM, recommended donation – $10. This event takes place at NPR Library, 5939 Main Street.
- Friday, April 16, 1-4PM – Friends Book Sale for Friends Members Only. Join the friends now and get the best deals at this special pre-sale event at NPR Library.
- Saturday, April 17, 10-2PM – Book Sale for the General Public – Help the library and get great deals too.
Code Green Film and Discussion Series
See a film that builds community awareness of environmental issues. Film and discussion, Sat, Apr. 10 from 1-3:30PM. For more details, visit www.codegreencommunity.org (FREE)
“Love and Deception” – The Showcase Rep. Theatre is back with short scenes and monologues from well known, award winning plays all of which share the common thread of having something to do with being deceived in love. At NPR Library, Sat, April 24 at 7PM and Sun, April 25 at 2PM Recommended donation,$10
How to Successfully Obtain a Business Loan
Join us for this free presentation by S.C.O.R.E.’s volunteer small business counselors. Tues, Apr. 27 at 5:30PM (FREE)
The library has begun two new collections:
- Exercise equipment – from the “Perfect Pushup” to ankle weights, there is a variety of exercise equipment available.
- iStudy – high school and college courses on DVD for self-study. Courses are available for Basic Math, Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, Statistics, Probability, Music, Writing, Reading, Philosophy, Economics, Buddhism, New Testament, Classical Mythology, and Shakespeare.
Both collections check out for a month loan period.